Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Restaurants I'm Diggin'...But Don't Tell the Anarcho Police

I almost forgot that I said I would post about this. Birthday dinner was lovely. 1618 West Seafood Grille was a very satisfying fine dining experience, despite the pretensions inherent to that biz, i.e. repulsive attempts to de-anglicize words by adding an 'e'. 'Fine dining' in general isn't my style, because it's so damn expensive (average entree here = $24) and because I can generally do as well or better with my own ingenuity in the kitchen, but I didn't have to pay for this one. They have an impressive wine list, and the loosely Latin-themed flounder entrée was delicious. It came with a dirty rice-stuffed poblano pepper that was...well, hot damn. Also, I have never had better calamari in my life. You can check them out here. The menu has changed who-knows-how-many times since their last website update, but I generally take that as a good sign.

While I am confessing my bourgeois sins for the week, I may as well also admit to really enjoying brunch at Lucky 32 on Sunday. I'm not sure how we ended up deciding to go somewhere so fancy, because it's really uncharacteristic of us, but there we went and boy was it good. Good enough to make it relatively easy to ignore the racket and stench of monied white Greensboroans and simply enjoy the food. The service was fantastic--our waitress was a real person who simultaneously brought her self and her best manners to the table. Particularly noteworthy items were the Sweet Onion Basil Quiche, the fried grit cake with gravy, and the absolutely sexy fruit salad. Figs, as you might guess, always get points with me. 

I wonder what they've got in their dumpsters at the end of the night. Let me know if you want to go on an adventure to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me notes and tell me stories.