Friday, September 18, 2009

Let's Build a World Out of Wire.

Alexander Calder (1898-1976) is mostly famous for his mobiles, which are impressive, precariously-balanced structures made from spindly bits of wire attached to brightly-colored, flat shapes and shards of...stuff. Anyway, very nice things. It turns out that Calder actually invented the mobile, according to Wikipedia. Another article raised a question about that particular fact, but I wasn't alive in 1931, and I'm willing to wager that you weren't, either. Besides, I don't want to talk about mobiles. I want to talk about his somewhat lesser-known wire works.



...or maybe just not talk about it at all.




These make me happy.




(It made a poopy!)




...I would like to live in this guy's world, inhabit his imagination, just for a day or two. Nevertheless, he is no longer living, and I would need a lot of heavy drugs to trick myself into thinking it was happening. Does anyone want to help me fill up rooms and rooms full of wire sculptures? We'll skip the acid and just drink lots of coffee, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me notes and tell me stories.