Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Extemporaneous Falafel

Mmmm. Greek yogurt with pecans and honey. Black tea with milk and more honey. Perusing the blog I am wicked addicted to, Design*Sponge. The author's job is on my top ten list of things I might have loved to do with my life--right up there with documentary photography--if it hadn't been for this pesky desire to serve people. I sound bitter, but that's far from the truth. Teaching is where it's at...until it's not anymore, of course.

Soon I'll post links to a blog space that David and I are launching sometime later this month, which will document the first Ex.Tempo Series event. Here is the invitation we made:

Only a few of the people we initially invited made it this time, but I think it will take a few times before people realize that it really is a thing, and that it really is lots of fun. It seems that David has a new admirer, too, who wants to play more regularly.

I made fantastic falafel burgers for everyone. I have no idea if I'm doing it right, but it sure does taste good. I just mash up chick peas, a little flour, tons of garlic, tons of chopped parsley, and salt and pepper, then moosh them into patties and bread them with a mixture of flour and spices. Then I shallow-fry them in about 1/2" of peanut oil. The oil gets very dark and starts smoking, and I have to switch it out halfway through. My tzatziki doesn't follow any particular recipe, either. Nevertheless, them shits is good.

The next day, I made food again for the We Rock Collective guys, at which point I started hearing them call me 'Ms. Cooper.' Aurgh. Anyway, dinner was great: homemade tortillas with raw veggie salad tossed in lime blackberry vinaigrette and yogurt (collaborative effort on the sauce) with parsley and mint. I love food, and I love having people around me to feed, and I love having time to do it. I need to remember how happy it makes me to feed people as I navigate the career world--this could be a serious consideration, part of a healthy depression-avoidance plan. Of course, some day I may have little choice in the matter. If anything happens to dad, I might have to figure out what to do with the restaurant. I have thought about turning it into a happy, hormone-free pig sort of barbecue place, but somehow I think that the clientele would run screaming.

Today's pass-alongs:
- Check out these gorgeous spiders (and gorgeous everything) at the Montague Projects Blog.
- And remember, ladies, that if you're not having enough fun, you can always find some priests and do this... (c/o Chicks and Bikes)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me notes and tell me stories.