Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Few Bands I Miss Seeing

Living in Asheville was a kind of musical gluttony. It's not that there aren't interesting things going on in Greensboro, but I certainly miss being able to go see these bands play live.

  • Tony Wain and the Payne. Nobody here seems to be into this kind of crunky tonk. I heart you, Andrew and Aaron. I mean, not just you, but...hey, this is my list. 
  • Anything that Shane, Ryan, and those boys ever touch, like Ahleuchatistas--here's their official site--(coming to play here at CFBG on September 26th, yeeeehaw) Ashes in Order, Lulo, and although I never saw them play together, Pilgrim. I may be missing a project or two. I never got to see Doom Ribbons or Mind vs. Target! but I know I would miss them too if I had. I might be more embarrassed to be so frank about my love for this group of musicians if it weren't for the fact that I have already made it clear--I get clumsy and starstruck around those guys. I nearly had a heart attack when one of them asked me to help him book this show at CFBG...and I think it showed on the interweb EKG. *Sigh* I'll never be cool.
  • Body of John the Baptist. Nathanael is a doomy little lullaby bird, and Jamie is the master of wall-of-sound analog synth magic.
  • Firecracker Jazz Band. Holy crap this band is fun to see live, especially at the Town Pump in Black Mountain.
  • The Sexpatriates. The Tower of Bower is almost as sexy as he thinks he is, and they create utter balls-out (sometimes quite literally) rock and roll mayhem.
  • The Reigning Sound. Like a fine, well-seasoned Cabernet. Of rock.
  • Soft Opening. More of Jamie's autistically rigorous taste and geetar chops, and for fuck's sake, bring earplugs.
  • All the street bands that play all sorts of gypsy punk fusions who are probably too cool to have their music up on the web. Please, Circus Band, correct me if I am mistaken.
There are others, and I may keep adding to this list, but that's what I can think of right now. If you haven't heard of any on this list, I recommend you check it out. I have to go get ready to teach some folks how to write good. (He he)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me notes and tell me stories.